Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering...

Today is the first day I feel alone in this huge city. Today is also the 10th anniversary of September 11, 2001. On this day we remember all the innocent men and women who lost their lives; we also remember all the brave service people who saved lives. This marks a milestone for our country - our process of rebuilding begins with remembering all of those close to us. It's hard to be in this city alone - with all of these people, I don't recognize any of them. Everyone is a stranger here; it hit me today - I'm such a baby I want my mommy and daddy, but I know this is good for me to have a clean break from them and learn how to find my own strength in this huge metropolis.
Not to go on and on, but here is a list of things I miss about home in Ohio, things I thought I would never miss because I was so excited about NYC:
**Obviously my family (my mom and dad making me laugh all time whenever I need a laugh)
**My friends - being able to call anyone and see them within 5 minutes if needed
**Driving! I haven't driven in almost 2 weeks, not that I want to drive in the city, but I miss driving my BUICK around Stow, here I walk everywhere or take a subway - (little bit about the subway: its so hot down there! its literally like a sauna! and it moves so fast so if you don't get a seat on it, hold on for your life! I try and avoid the subway as much as possible!)
**Laundry: I have not done my laundry yet since being here I plan on doing it later tonight, but it costs $2 for a wash and $2 for drying - the washers here hold next to nothing and its all the way in the basement of the building! I miss being able to do my laundry for free at my house!
**My own room! I share my room here with 2 other girls and its the size of my room back at home - 3 people are not meant to be in that tight of a space for more than a week! Sometimes I find myself just leaving to walk around to get away from feeling cramped up.
**Most of all I miss my family. I wish I could be here with them...

I'm not complaining, but if you want to know how I really feel that's it. I love this city to pieces so far, but nothing replaces your home - my place where I feel grounded the most. I pray every night that I can have the strength to get through the day - mostly on the days when I have to go into my internship. Every day HE proves to me I can make it here! Time heals everything? No, GOD does - HE moves mountains for ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment